You might feel like safety decisions are out of your control, but parents have power to demand safe and healthy sports environments for their kids!
Some concrete steps you can take:
- Ask the club or league directors if coaches are required to have training or certification in sports safety and positive coaching.
- Demand a culture that teaches fundamentals, empowers your child to build confidence and skills, and fosters the love of sport.
- Ensure safeguards are in place. Ask for the policy regarding allegations or findings of verbal, physical, or sexual abuse within the league, club, or team.
- Create parent groups to promote positive sports parenting and discuss youth sports concerns in the community (social media, virtual meetings, in-person, etc).
- Be engaged in your sport/school community – parents can drive change.
- Explore all the available team/league/club options to find safe and healthy environment and the best fit for your child. Trust your gut to make the best decisions for your child.