It might feel awkward, but ask these questions to ensure your athlete is safe!
Be prepared to discuss the following with your athlete’s coach and/or sport organization:
- What are the hiring procedures in this program?
- Do you offer abuse prevention training?
- Are appropriate conduct policies available?
- What are your communication guidelines?
- Do you have rules in place for coach-athlete contact?
- Are safe spaces available in the facilities you will be using?
Want More Information?
Mountjoy, M., Brackenridge, C., Arrington, M., Blauwet, C., Carska- Sheppard, A., Fasting, K., ... & Starr, K. (2016). International Olympic Committee consensus statement: harassment and abuse (nonaccidental violence) in sport. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 50(17), 1019-1029.
Mountjoy, M., Vertommen, T., Burrows, K., & Greinig, S. (2020). # SafeSport: safeguarding initiatives at the Youth Olympic Games 2018. British journal of sports medicine, 54(3), 176-182.