Openly talk with your children about appropriate boundaries and reaffirm that you are a safe place to share if your child ever feels unsafe. Should you suspect bullying or sexual violence, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Be prepared
- Educate yourself on age appropriate sexual behavior
- Know symptoms of bullying and abuse
- Create a safe space to talk
- Limit distractions
- Be direct and let your child know you care about them
- Remain centered, calm and supportive
- Ask open questions and avoid leading questions
- How are you feeling?
- I noticed you are struggling with something, would you like to talk about it?
- Do you feel safe?
- Give your child time to respond
- Know that you may need to have multiple conversations
- Don’t push if the child doesn’t want to talk
- Believe your child
Want More Information?